Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fanshawe Park, The War of 1812 Revisited

Click picture to enlarge
A perfect, sunny day in the mid-seventies greeted us at London's Fanshawe Pioneer Village in Fanshawe Park. This was the perfect setting for the ensuing battles because the park features a man made lake created by a flood control dam and an entire pioneer village created from authentic London buildings rescued from times gone by. There is even the actual original Labatt's Brewery moved here from Richmond Street in London.

The smithies at the forge

Donna greets us at the camp site.

The last time we saw Pete and Donna was back in April of this year in Hawaii. We have been on 3 cruises with them and always have a great time together. Pete and Donna know I've been known to tip a few gin, tonic, and soda concoctions so they even brought the ingredients. How thoughtful! We toasted the occasion and enjoyed a very pleasant day at their encampment. I only wish I had some period clothing to wear since I surely looked out of place in my shorts. Next time...

The battles portrayed are so realistic you feel that you are witnessing history in a time machine. The sounds of the muskets, the cannons, the pipers, and the music is only surpassed by the smells of open hardwood campfires, acrid gunpowder, coal burning at the blacksmith's shop and authentic stews and foods cooked over an open fire.

Pete shows Wendy how to cock the musket.

Wendy looks like 'a natural', my garb looks a little out of place to say the least.


Pete showed Wendy and I how a musket works and we even got to fire off a few rounds. What an experience!
Pete always tells a good story





Pete is in the U.S. 25th Infantry thus with the group playing "the bad guys".
Don Arscott, Pete Cooper and Drew Hodgins right.

Pete with 'brass' Tom Hurlbut.

No comments:

Post a Comment