Now that's gotta cost a buck or two to fix but Imagine the panic if the place was packed with fans! Now I feel better knowing son Tim pulled most of the snow off our roof.
.Nowadays you can readily buy a device called a "Snow Rake" to pull snow off your roof but back in 1988 no-one had ever heard of such a thing. That is until I came up with an idea to use up some left over plastic that we were using to clad the mattress decks of our hospital beds. After cutting the decks to size we had small pieces left that we would send back to the plastic maker for re-grind but for which we received a pittance. I welded a "T" shape out of tubing and screwed to it a large half round shape of this scrap plastic.
It worked... The "Snow Hoe" was born. The orders started to come in as Nick Buildall advised his radio audience to remove snow from their roofs to lighten the load and also to help prevent "ice dams" that can lead to roof leaks. " There's a man here in town that makes just what you need. Call and get a Snow Hoe." he would say.
I never had time to pursue the thing any further and after selling off my supply of handles, the project unceremoniously ended. The Snow Hoe paid for a winter of bar tabs for Nick and I and helped fund our local brewery. (Labatt's) That advice of twenty-two years ago is still good. You should get a Snow Rake if you have a lot of snow on your roof. Pay particular attention to the valleys where ice dams are common.
I suppose they'll be paying more attention to snow loads at the Metrodome from now on if they get it fixed in time.
.
.
.



No comments:
Post a Comment