"From the Mundane to the Less Mundane with Everything In Between". Now in my 18th YEAR OF BLOGGING and still counting.
Sunday, August 2, 2015
Hungry Little Devils
The Alphadrich eats rubber and you might remember I outlined the problem I encountered with them in Bonaire back in 2012 in my "April Fools" joke. CLICK HERE to see that post.
When I was a teenager on summer vacation I would sometimes travel with an old friend of my Dad's, Al Lutes. He was a dyed-in-the-wool tire and rubber salesman my Dad knew from our days in London, Ontario. Occasionally he would visit us in Toronto and since I was looking for something to do, I remember one summer day in the mid 1960's, he took me for a ride on his sales calls. As we drove along, Al explained how the Alphadrich caused havock through Mennonite country by eating the rubber off the buggy wheels. These little devils had a voracious appetite for all kinds of rubber but especially the softer gum rubber of the buggy wheel tire. He told a convincing story and I believed it for some time, until I related it to my father and he explained Al was having me on.
I just wish Al and my Dad were still alive to see this picture. Our neighbour at the condo, Garry had just launched his brand new dinghy a few days before this picture was taken. I'm sure I could have breathed new credibility into the Alphadrich tale. You can see that whatever it was (likely a muskrat) even ate the nylon rope drawstring around the bottom edge. I just hope the Alphadrich doesn't develop a taste for the vinyl sponsons on our inflatable boats.
.
.
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment