Thursday, January 24, 2019

I Didn't Know This:


My good friend and cruising buddy Bernie informed me of an unpublicized rule that Holland America (and maybe other lines) has which could save money on your cruise. If you are booking longer than 80 days before your cruise, just pay the deposit, then watch and wait to see if price drops before the "final payment date".

Here's what Bernie wrote:

Hi Tim:
I do hope that you’ve known that HAL has always had a policy, of accepting a reduced fare price (before the final payment date), after a passenger has already booked their cruise! Based on your response, I’m not sure if you do?

...Tim, in the future if you book a cruise many months before the sailing date, then just pay the deposit.  Later on keep checking the fares for your cruise,and see if the price has been lowered.  Then call your travel agent and get the new reduced cost!

It is up to you to keep checking the fares on your cruise, for any new lowered price after the booking.  Your travel agent, or obviously HAL won’t inform you of the better new fare!  There maybe 2 or more sales before the final payment date (depending on how far in advance the sailing had been booked)!

Best wishes,
Bernie


Thanks Bernie, 
Some of the others may have known this but it was news to me. That is good information! No, I did not know that. I will pass it on to our other cruising friends and post it on the blog.  

That being said, we are such procrastinators that I can't think of many (if any) that we book much more than 80 days ahead. Will certainly check it out for future cruises. I can see it would encourage someone to book that may be intimidated by the higher price, in hopes it will go down before the final payment date. 

I do remember our friend Cheryl getting a better price one time by calling her agent, but I thought, at the time, it must be an anomaly.

All the best,
Tim

If you don't find any significant sale prices offered up to the 80 days prior to embarkation, you can always cancel your cruise for FREE. After 80 days prior, there are penalties and you may be subject to a cancellation fee. As of July 2010, Holland America's per-person cancellation fees are as follows:

    Up to 80 days prior to departure: No penalty
    60-79 days prior to departure: Amount of deposit
    35-59 days prior to departure: 50 percent of total fare
    20-34 days prior to departure: 75 percent of total fare
    Less than 19 days prior to departure: 100 percent of total fare or no refund
    No appearance: 100 percent of total fare or no refund

Finally, if you want to pay for protection:

If you are cruising with Holland America, you will be offered a unique insurance plan of sorts. It's called the Cancellation Protection Plan, and it is quite popular among passengers. Interestingly, Holland America offers the only trip cancellation program in the industry, which offers (80 - 90%) cash back for canceling for any reason prior to 24 hours before departure. For a fee!

MORE FROM BERNIE... This time air tips:
 Bernie writes:

Another advantage in booking any cruise or tour several months in advance, is having a much better chance of getting a lower airfare, than the higher priced flights, and limited seat selections of airline prices less than 90 days before takeoff! 

Now if one books a cruise let’s say nine months in advance, of course a flight might be somewhat higher then.  So, I continue to track prices, and perhaps will book the air maybe 3 to 5 months before the ship sails, and get a better deal! 

Keep in mind for those distant destination cruises, be sure to arrive at least a day before the ship sails.  (You don’t want to miss the boat! (ha ha)).


“Stick with me kid; I’ll learn ya!”  (ha)

Cheers!
Bernie


 
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment