This is the letter that my friend David received and responded to when the hacker stole his email password and username:
Always be careful when receiving emails. Don't give out your password. You are better to telephone the sender using a number you know is correct and ask them about the alleged 'problem'. Legitimate companies and banks etc. will NEVER ask you for your passwords in emails and over the phone.
The hacker then accessed Dave's contact list and sent more emails to unsuspecting people.
Once the hacker had the email contacts he sent the following:
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: DAVID (email address removed by me)
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020, 10:55:37 a.m. EDT
Subject: Checking in HELP NEEDED
How are you doing ? Hope all is well with you?
Are you busy ? I need a little favour from you
Best Regards -------------- Dave
Sent from my iPad
They then pretended to be Dave and asked me for a gift card:
DAVID (email address removed by me)
To:Tim
Thu, Oct 22 at 11:46 AM
Thanks
for the quick response, I am sorry for bothering you with this mail, I
need to get a Google Play Gift Card for my niece, It's her birthday but i
can't do this now because I'm currently away and i tried purchasing
online but unfortunately no luck with that. Can you get it from any
store around you? I'll pay back as soon as I am back. Kindly let me know
if you can handle this.Await your soonest response.
Best Regards -------------- Dave
Sent from my iPad
.

No comments:
Post a Comment