Thursday, December 2, 2021

Curtis MI Postcard - One For My Colouring Book

An interesting feature of Photoshop is the ability to create layers of different colours and manipulate and blend them onto the  black and white original image I found and downloaded off eBay. I rarely ever actually buy a card.

The postcard was mailed in 1933 so it's nearly ninety years old. I always wonder how the people's lives played out. Did they keep the store? Did it make it through the 'dirty thirties'? Was the boy the owner's son or grandson? Did either of them go on to be famous? I doubt I'll ever know but it's fun to speculate as I work away on the colours. I try to research the colours (signs cars etc.) but most is too, just my imagination and speculation.

I watch eBay for interesting postcards. I found this one and coloured it just for you. Of course as usual you can click on any picture to see a larger image.

UPDATE: Well, what a find! I Googled the name on the sign and found the 1940 US Census for the people and store in Curtis MI. According to the document the man in the postcard was likely Ruben Archey who was 47 in 1933 and the boy was Ruben's nephew Raymond Feneley who was 12 at the time of the post card and living with the Archeys above the store. Also on the Census was other Feneley relatives. I see that Ruben didn't ever attend school and Raymond went to high school for 4 years. So the store and Ruben made it through the Great Depression and according to death records Ruben died in 1964.  Now if a person had time, or even cared, I'm sure he could find out more about the store and the people of Curtis MI.


 I did a quick look at Google Maps Street View and from the census entered "14 Main Street, Curtis MI" and found the store. Now called Lakeside Liquor Store. Although the gas pumps are gone, I can almost taste the ice cold American beer they probably sell.


Read about the new owners CLICK HERE or  HERE.

.

.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment