Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Words "ROOT CANAL" Instill Fear... Sort of Like "TAX AUDIT" or "SUIT 'N TIE EVENT"

Yesterday I went in for my dreaded root canal. The endodontist, Dr. Carr took another x-ray to determine his strategy. He explained the procedure to the minutest detail, exclaiming that he was going to do both teeth in this one visit. After a relatively painless injection of local anesthetic and a short wait, he and his assistant began their work in a methodical, efficient, almost monotonous procession of procedures. Drilling, reaming and packing my teeth took most of an hour.

What a surprise. To say the whole thing was painless would be an understatement. At the end Dr. Carr said “I think you actually nodded off a couple of times. Sorry we woke you up with all the noise. You were great.” “You were too! Thank you.” I replied. He had completed one root canal and packed the second, and more severely infected tooth with a disinfectant which he’ll remove and complete next week.


That was it! My wallet was $875 lighter, and I have an appointment to come back next Tuesday. It was about as interesting as a getting a filling, and somehow almost anticlimactic... in a warped sort of way. But hey; I said my prayer, so I guess I'm now committed to brushing three times a day!

If you’d like to know more about a root canal and the procedure involved go to:
http://www.animated-teeth.com/root_canal/t1_root_canal.htm
Check with your dentist, and maybe you can have one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment