Saturday, January 5, 2008

January Blahs


The Holiday season is barely over and already the blahs are starting. I don’t want to sound like I’m kvetching but I guess it’s the letdown after all the hype, although this year I tried not to get caught up too much in the hype. This can be proven by glancing at my MasterCard balance which is not noticeably higher than any other month. Still, the holidays; even though I don’t go to work anymore, seem to evoke a feeling that I don’t feel guilty about not working. I suppose years of ingrained perceptions, conditioning the brain to feel obligated to work, gives a subconscious reprieve at that time of the year. Oddly, I get a similar feeling every weekend; a feeling that I don’t need to feel guilty about not working on those two days. I’ve even used that feeling to procrastinate on other jobs that need doing around the house. I’ll call it “The Weekends Are Mine Syndrome”. I’ve often said to myself “I’ll do that on Monday”. How weird is that? And that’s after a dozen years of retirement! I still feel like, beginning in January, I should be ‘getting back at it’ but of course there is nothing there.

No comments:

Post a Comment