Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We Have Walked Over Sixty Miles

Wendy and I have continued our ‘walking program’ and it’s been four weeks now since we started. Each day I try to plan out an interesting one hour walk. We have been using the city’s many kilometers of trails or ‘multi-use pathways’ that mostly follow the Thames River branches. London is located at the ‘Fork of the Thames’. This is where the North Branch and the South Branch converge in to one river which continues west another couple hundred kilometers to empty onto Lake St Clair which is southwest of our condo in Point Edward.



The Fork of the Thames is the centerpiece of London. I wish they had splash pads like this when I was a kid!



Click on any picture to enlarge.


Blackfriars Bridge





Wendy had to ask a passing bicyclist what this was. A Frisby catcher.






This is all new to me so I never realized the beauty of these paths that are obscured from view by trees and are barely noticed by people using only the city streets since one can only access them on foot or by bicycle.

This is certainly one of the nicest times of the year to get out walking. I hope I can stay motivated through the summer months when the temperature starts to climb.





Below is a soap milling machine. You just don't see one of these every day. The plaque above describes the London Soap Company. I remember it before it burned down. Wendy taught one of the owners' kids way back when.



This plaque is located roughly behind and across the river from where Wendy's parents used to live. It was a very big disaster in its time.



We try to cover about 4 to 5 kilometers (2.5 to 3.6 miles) every day, so that means we’ve walked about 70 to 100 miles in the past 4 weeks.


This goose was so mad at me he was hissing as I approached.
But not as mad as me at myself for eating a hearty breakfast after my walk. No wonder I'm not losing much weight.
Bad boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment