Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day Fishing Weekend


This Fathers' Day weekend we were favoured by a visit to the condo by Erin and Jake. Friday night they arrived and Wendy and I hadn't eaten, so they suggested we go over to Stokes Bay. I coincidently had a coupon for half price chicken wings - so you know what I had. Saturday around noon, Andrew and his friend Brian arrived. Erin had fishing in mind for this weekend so we took the Phoenix out on Saturday afternoon to check things out.
.
Andrew snickers at Erin's catch of the day. She says she caught this one four times.

Unfortunately there was a strong breeze which made anchoring or trolling uncomfortable so all we got was a jammed, stuck anchor (which we finally released with some damage to the anchor) and a couple of rock bass (released) to show for our efforts.At least we didn't have to cut the anchor loose.

 The crew are on the bow of the Phoenix having a meeting about how to free the snagged anchor. Jake left, Andrew, Erin and Brian right.

 Wendy to the rescue! Wendy instructs the crew on anchor retrieval techniques.

 Damaged anchor will need to be welded. It took a lot of force to rip the steel plate, but at least we still have the anchor.

Sunday the weather was calm, so Erin headed out at 5:30 AM to fish by herself under the Bluewater Bridge, a traditional favorite spot for shore fishing. I caught up to her around 6:30 and cast unsuccessfully a few times before we decided to try another known spot. Guthrie Park is downriver and features the 'outflow' of cooling water from a refinery. The water is bathtub warm, attracting several species. On our second or third cast, using a small, ordinary red and white 'daredevil', we landed a nice 1+ lb. largemouth bass. Alas, the bass season doesn't start 'til next Saturday so we had to release him.


I'm sure this guy would have made a nice breakfast. Amazingly when we held him he was hot to the touch. I guess they adapt to the warm water. Two young boys were fishing here too and they told us that their bait minnows only last for three casts because they perish in the heat.


Later, after breakfast, we took the Phoenix out for a short tour of Sarnia bay and tied up to a public dock back close to the condo. This is the place we usually tie up to watch fireworks on the bay. Our position afforded a panoramic view of Sarnia Bay. While Andrew had a swim in the 60° F water, Erin and I explored around the spit and the river bank in the dinghy. This federally owned dock is called 'Winter Harbour' because it is where the freighters tie up when they can no longer traverse the St Lawrence system in January and February.


Later, while Erin was bottom fishing with dew worms in the shadow of our boat, I decided to try a few casts with a 4" spoon. Maybe there is a trout or a walleye lurking around. Anyway, Erin's line was just getting nibbled by rock bass that were eating all the worms. The other crew members were snoozing after a fine lunch of sandwiches that Wendy made earlier. It was a fine, sunny day and definitely the wrong time for fishing according to the experts.



I was casting with a very large ocean spinning reel and quite a heavy rod (that I use with the downriggers for salmon and trout) I was just about ready to call it quits myself when I got a strike. No way of knowing what it was but it was heavy and ran with my line. The landing took at least ten minutes as the fish pulled and lurched continuously. By now all hands were watching as I wrestled with the fish. As the fish finally tired, we agreed it was a Muskie.
 



I caught him on this lure with NO LEADER!

Apparently they are fairly rare for this area. Even in their known habitats, they are refered to as 'the fish of 1000 casts' because they are hard to catch. Although small for this species this specimen was still over three feet long and weighed 14 pounds. Fun to catch indeed. Everyone seemed to enjoy the weekend and fishing with my daughter made it a perfect Fathers' Day for me!
.
.
.