Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Rain Stayed Away Today - Hurray!

 .
 This year I attended the show as a spectator with my good friend Mike. We arrived bright and early at 8:30 am on Saturday morning. I had been worried that the weather would not cooperate but my fears were dispelled as the sun tried to burn away the morning mist. The slight overcast was great for picture taking as it avoided harsh shadows.

Partly because of my involvement in 'The Great Deck Project' and partly because I have no room in my garage, my '48 Oldsmobile was still at the condo and wasn't ready in time to de-winterize it and take it to the Fleetwood show. Last year Wendy and I took the Alaska cruise in the same time period so that makes two years that I have not been able to display the old Olds. Anyway, that freed me up for a better opportunity to explore some of the 3000 or so cars. If you click on any of the pictures they will go extra large for this series.


This 1942 Cadillac was in General Ike Eisenhower's personal car pool during the war.


 Meticulous engine compartments are themselves like artwork.



When I was 15 this was the most expensive car imaginable. Built for royalty. (That's Mike on the right)




I love the old Morgans.



My first car was a '59 Morris Minor 1000 although mine was dark green and it was not a convertible like this beauty. I paid $4 for it from an English fellow named Arthur Britain. He only wanted to recover the price of the recently installed block heater. In 1965 newly introduced retail sales tax was 3%, I had to pay 12¢ at the license bureau. That's how the government slipped it in: "Oh well it's only 3%. How could that matter?"


Brian Salt (above) runs Salthaven.


I got to meet Brian Salt who had a display at the show. I knew all about his work because our daughter Erin loves to do volunteer work at this worthy charity. They rehabilitate all kinds of wildlife that people bring into the shelter. Click to read more about Salthaven.




Since the theme this year was 'American Graffiti',  there was a Mel's Diner set up where the actors and personalities could sign autographs and pose for pictures. There was even a drive-in movie showing the famous movie on Friday night. Unfortunately the rainy weather caused some cars to become stuck and many had to be towed out. Mike was at the dance last night and he said they had to stop the band from playing because rain was leaking into the huge tent, dousing the entertainers.




Steve Plunkett's new salon was the a highlight of the show and it housed some of his most prized collector cars.


I love the old Studebakers...

                                                                                                        


                                                                                                                 Photos from the internet.
 ...even as a kid they reminded me of the 'Rocket Ride' at the market.


We ran into our 'Circle of Friends' friend Barry and here is his '37 Chev looking great as usual. Mike is looking in.


 The pond was filled to overflowing from the rain. The banks were too soggy for the boats and Amphicars to get in and out so the displays were land-bound this year.

.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment