Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Hate Snakes! Sewer Snakes That Is.

I always feel like one of these guys when I get into a project.
 It's probably a good thing this picture is dark and out of focus.
Just as we were about to sit down to dinner last night the sink suddenly clogged. We delayed things as we tried a quick plunge. Oh oh, better deal with this later. The plunger was not working so I scarfed down my lovely meal and headed over to Canadian Tire to buy a snake.

After a few hours of prodding, plunging and cursing I gave up and went to bed. The "home-makers grade" snake didn't reach the clog and the store was closed now so I couldn't buy Drano. To make matters worse, I read on the internet that homeowners are rarely successful in clearing these plugs and usually chemicals just don't work. (as in: make things worse)

The blockage was mostly vegan from the garburator. I figure it was about 15 feet from the sink, near an elbow. I saved some in a cat food can for the picture. Chopped less-than-fresh broccoli and lettuce anyone? I worked 8 hours on this?
The next morning at 8 AM I went to Home Depot and got a larger, longer and more aggressive (read - expensive) "Snake 2".  Finally at 10:40 AM I managed to push the big new snake through the blockage and solve the problem.  I probably pushed most of the clog farther on so I hope all of it went to the main drainpipe. OK, all's well that ends well.

Well, not quite. In order to deploy "Snake 2" I had to take the drain apart to access the pipe. "Snake 1" was thin enough to get through the strainer basket but "Snake 2" was too fat. My projects seldom go like the TV guys and this one was no exception. I removed the pipes from the sink and the disposer and went directly into the pipe sticking out of the wall under the sink. After clearing the blockage I re-assembled the drain and had a bad leak caused by the disturbance of the old fittings which crumbled in my hands. Back to Canadian Tire for a new strainer basket and tailstock and I was finally finished... by noon. Total time approximately 8 hours. I'd never make money as a plumber!

New strainer basket and all is well.

If you need any work done give me a call, but I'll warn you, I'm slow and I charge $200/hr. Who knows it might still be cheaper than a plumber.
.
.
.