Monday, August 6, 2012

Picture This. My Latest Artistic Attempt...


I'll have it printed at poster size (24 x 36) and it'll look great on the wall at the condo

Maybe it was the arts and crafts fair in Lexington that inspired me or maybe it was simply that I found such an interesting postcard that I couldn't resist coloring it in Photoshop and turning it into an art form of my own.  Anyway here's the before and after pictures Inspired by a postcard from the 1920's. You might notice that I actually 'fabricated' more water and buildings around the scene since I thought the postcard was cropped a little too tightly. I added a little white smoke to liven things up a bit. I wonder what colour all this stuff really was? I made my best guess based on the shading.

Original postcard from around 1927. The ship is "The City of Sarnia" I think.
Before there was a bridge between Port Huron, Michigan and Sarnia, Ontario, people had to use the ferry boat shown here docking at the foot of Ferry Dock Hill. Even after the construction of the first span of the Blue Water Bridge in 1938, there continued to be regularly scheduled ferry service right up until the early nineteen sixties.  No ferries now but the street is still called Ferry Dock Hill and all the buildings (and boats) in this picture are long gone. The grain elevators on the distant horizon are in Canada too as the view is across Sarnia Bay with Port Huron and USA out of shot to the left.

Final picture printed and ready to frame up for the condo wall.


Click here to read more about this scene.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment