"From the Mundane to the Less Mundane with Everything In Between". Now in my 18th YEAR OF BLOGGING and still counting.
Saturday, September 22, 2012
Bzzzzzzzzzz!
For most of the summer we have been enduring the presence of a population of yellow-jackets. They have set up camp in a flower garden right next to our patio. We tolerated the pests and were prepared to wait them out, but the turning point came yesterday when our new little kitten got too close. A swarm of the little beggars chased our very surprised cat, stinging it relentlessly. For several hours his little eye was swollen shut and we worried whether he would be alright.
I searched the net for the best way to exterminate a hornets' nest. Instead of using poison, my son Tim placed an old glass fish bowl upside down over top of the yellow jacket nest in the garden. (Do it after dark when they are all inside) You can't just block the hole with a stone or brick because they will dig a new one. I read on the internet that they wouldn't try to dig a new exit if they saw light coming in. Well it's been one day now and some appear to be dead or exhausted. We will see in a few days what happens.
I guess it doesn't really matter if they die or not, as long as they aren't bothering (stinging) me. Looks like a good way to solve a problem without chemicals. One thing is sure... I've got a bunch of angry hornets. CAUTION: Be careful though, if you have pets or children playing nearby. I wouldn't want anyone to lift that bowl!
.
.
.

