I don't think I developed it because I'm frugal. It was just a desire to somehow measure or at least get my mind around what I am paying for groceries and snacks. Anyway you can take it for what it's worth, but I thought you might find it interesting.
When you are in a store, contemplating the vast array of tempting food items, take a look at the weight in Grams. I use this weight as part of my decision making process on whether or not to put it in my basket. It doesn't matter if the weight is 1 pound (454 grams) or 8 ounces (225 grams) or what ever, but my secret gauge is how much it costs per the weight in grams.
![]() |
| I don't like chocolate or candies to cost much more than 1 cent per gram. |
There are of course other factors to be considered, like the quality and the pretty box, and whether or not I actually like the stuff. This Penny Gram guideline seems to work for many food items and is useful in a place like Bulk Barn. If I go over my self-imposed limit of one gram = one penny that's OK too, but at least I know where I stand in relative terms. My simple algorithm has served me well for the past five years or so.
Try it next time you go shopping. If nothing else it will put the prices into perspective. It works for me.
.
.
.


No comments:
Post a Comment