There are some funny street names around and you can see quite a few if you go to Google Images and type "funniest street names"
I remember reading about the controversy when the city changed the name of Brick Street to Commissioner's Road in our town. Long ago the street I live on was Queen Street. When the city renamed Queen Street to Ridout Street there was such a rebellion that the portion of street were I live was renamed Upper Queen Street which apparently appeased the rebels.
I can only imagine the ridicule our city politicians would receive if they tried to re-label a street with the innocuous name of 80th Drive to Arlene Fuchs Katz Drive. And one way yet. No matter how endearing the woman was to the local population, I can not believe the residents would take this lying down. Even Chevy Chase might have something to say about it.
This new street is in the New York City suburb, Queens. Here is the announcement:
Street Renamed To Honor Local Leader
City Council member James Gennaro (D–Fresh Meadows)
recently renamed 80th Drive in Jamaica Estates in honor of the late
Arlene Fuchs Katz in memory of her dedicated service to the communities
of Queens.
Gennaro said that among Katz’s many contributions to
Queens was her service as a teacher at P.S. 131, Jamaica, leader in the
United Federation of Teachers Union (UFT), a Community Board 8 member,
and president of the Independent Democratic Club. Katz died this past
January. Arlene Fuchs Katz Drive is now located at the corner of Chevy
Chase Street and 80th Drive, Jamaica Estates.
.
.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment