Sunday, June 14, 2015

More Maintenance...

We went to open the pool and discovered the pump motor was seized and the salt chlorinator was not chlorinating. You can see that the poor old pump motor was getting pretty corroded as it worked tirelessly all these (probably 20) years. I took it apart and got it spinning but it was shrieking in protest and finally died a noisy death.



Most motor problems on pumps are caused by water intrusion through the pump seals so new seals are always mandatory in a motor replacement. Fortunately my eBay supplier included the seals as a no charge extra.


The pump motor was a no-brainer. It was complaining/whining a little last year as the bearings were going. I knew we wouldn't make it another season and should have ordered a pump motor during the winter but alas, I forgot. I ordered a new 3/4 hp motor on line for $139 and we picked it up at the mail box on Friday. Would have been another hundred bucks at least in good old Canada.


The salt chlorinator is a pricey device. The control box can cost over $800 and even a replacement circuit board can run $400. Fortunately I was able to isolate the problem to a failed component.

I found the same problem on YouTube so it confirmed my suspicions. I saved a few hundred dollars here.
Upon investigation and testing I discovered that a small, disc-shaped, low cost electronic device called the current limiter had failed so I ordered a larger capacity one for $6.50 and had it also sent to the mail box in Port Huron.


Thank the Lord for Google and You Tube when you have to solve a problem. This video advocates a $2.50 replacement current limiter but I chose to replace mine with a super-duty, heavier, $6.50 model which should last longer since, being larger, it won't get as hot in use.

A few more home maintenance items to go yet, then maybe the weather will stay nice and I can escape to the condo in Point Edward. We'll see!
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment