Saturday, October 15, 2016

Kijiji Fridge Arrives. Dead Fridge Exits.

Well, it is said that the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it. I can't say the same about a refrigerator. Especially when the old fridge lets you down after a mere 25 years or so.  And especially when you are just leaving to visit friends up north. Ha ha!  I need to find a new one with an ice-maker, my single, most important feature in a refrigerator.

Very tight fit... New fridge in back of the Rendezvous and the old fridge ready for scrap.

When we got back from our visit with John and Cheryl at MullBain Lodge we had to find another fridge. Kijiji held the answer to our dilemma by providing an ad for a $300 so-called "like new" replacement and also a couple of contacts for people who would come and take the old one away for FREE. Double win win! Love that Kijiji!


Unfortunately there are a few risks in purchasing used stuff. When I connected the "new" fridge to the water line in the kitchen, we had a small flood. Upon examination I found a crack in the valve that supplies water to the ice-maker and water station. I really don't think that the Kijiji seller Greg knew there was any problems with the unit. I hereby give him the benefit of doubt since he explained to me that this fridge worked perfectly and he was selling it because they got a new one after a recent renovation. I suspect they put the fridge in the garage during and after the reno and the temperature dropped to below freezing and ruptured the water supply valve body. The internet says this is a common occurrence.


Thank the Lord for eBay since I was able to find the $100 replacement valve for under $30 CDN and intend to install it next week. I then will have my beloved ice-maker running and can again rest peacefully. Anyway, as Wendy said: "Where else would you find a good fridge for three hundred bucks?" and there's no sales tax.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment