Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Way Past Time For A New Roof!



My good friend John would be proud of me. As you know, I have never been afraid to take on a project and Wendy has never been slow to encourage me on especially if we can save a buck or two. This particular project  has been stalled all summer due to our preoccupation with selling the condo in Point Edward. That's a good thing because the summer past has been the hottest I can remember and working on a roof would not have been possible in my world anyway.


As you can see the roof is toast, especially on the right hand side which faces south. The completely baked-out asphalt shingles  are both unsightly and useless at keeping the elements at bay.  These shingles replaced a cedar-shake roof back in 1995 so they really only lasted about 20 years. The low pitch and the south-facing orientation meant that asphalt  shingles were not the best choice for this extreme location.


Of coarse once the shingles failed, water intrusion caused the wafer-board below to become rotten, fortunately only along the eaves.


I went to Home Depot and bought one sheet of 5/8 wafer-board and had them slice it into 3 strips of 16 inches. I laid it up, over top of the rotten section and traced a line. Then I set my circular saw to just graze the beams below and cut the rotten sections out.


It was easy then to just replace the rotten boards  and nail them into place.


The job went pretty smoothly because, planning to do this in the summer, I had already went to Menards over in Port Huron and ordered/bought all the paneling and screws etc. Home Depot here in Canada quoted me over $600 and in the States it was only a little over $100 USD


Wendy always worries when I get up on a roof because I am so clumsy and I really hate heights but I took care and managed to avoid falling.
.

The other side of the peak revealed the same kind of damage so I repeated the process on the northern side and the job went quicker since this side did not experience the extreme heat of the southern side and the old shingles came off in one piece at a time instead of  multiple broken shards.


So it was the same routine on the north side of the shed. I cut out the rotten wood in the eaves section and replaced it with new wafer-board. The rest was easy. Nail on some new drip strips and screw down the lovely new steel roofing.


Hey! MY THOUGHS ON THE MATTER: If you think you can do a job and save some money that you can spend on something you'd rather be doing, then why be lazy and pay somebody else; especially, if by doing so, you do not then have the money to do the thing you'd rather be doing?  Hmmm!

Too philosophical for me!  Must be my Puritanical background. I'm really just trying to loose weight. Ha ha!

Anyway... Looks pretty good for an amateur don't you think?
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment