Friday, July 7, 2017

Swing Seating Refinishing Job.



It's only been two years since my friend Greg supplied me with some beautifully made slats for our two swinging chairs. I guess one or two coats of spar varnish was nor enough to protect the wood. Two seasons in the hot sun and the elements sure took their toll.


With Greg's work and mine, I've got too much time invested in them to put them out at the curb.


They did sand down fairly easily and the results were promising.




The wider arm rests were cupped so I ripped them on the table saw into three separate boards. This is how the original arms were but Greg and I thought that the wider ones would hold a drink better. Oh well slitting them eliminated the cupping.


I set up the belt sander on my bench so I could feed the boards through. They were fairly easy to handle since I left the bolts in the boards to hold on to and allow hanging after the coating.


The boards above have all been sanded, ready for the new coating.


This time I drove over to Heritage Marine and bought a quart of Sikken's Cetol Marine. This is a proven performer in the boating world so I figured it would stand up better than the varnish did. I hope so! I religiously followed the instructions, applying 3 coats with 24 hours between each coat.


A little rust on the frames needed touch up before the wood went back on.


The weather cooperated all week with no wind and warm dry temperatures. Perfect for getting my three coats on. How do you like my open-air workshop?



Finally everything was ready to re-install.


Tadah!


They look better than they did when they were new. Hopefully the marine treatment will stand up to many years of use with just a yearly maintenance coat as the directions on the can tell us.


.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment