I never owned one of these (luckily) but remember the old tape cameras? I did have a Sony Handicam Hi8 from nearly 30 years later, around 1995 or so. Somewhere I have stored away all my old tapes. I'm sure they hold many memories but they are probably lost forever in antiquity since the camera is gone and there's no way to play them back.
Here's an Ad from 1967. It's a Sony! So portable! But you didn't even get colour for that price - $1250. Big bucks in those days. Half the price of a new car at the time. I wonder what the resolution was? It weighed nearly as much as 2 bags of potatoes and you might get 1 hour out of the battery.
Now your camera (or phone) fits in a shirt pocket and is a hundred times better.
That reminds me. Speaking of technology that has become obsolete... Those old tapes had a limited lifetime. You know that if you've ever had an old tape player 'eat' your tape. They dry out and mess up.
FRIENDLY WARNING: But did you know that all our modern, little, memory chips like the ones in your camera, cell phone and even your hard drives also have a limited life? Do you know that eventually all these memory devices will, in a few years - DIE? They lose their micro electrical charges and your images and data will disappear like a fleeting dream. And you just know you won't have the same cell phone in 3 - 5 years.
That's why, if you value your memories, you should constantly back up your devices and chips to MORE THAN ONE PLACE. I back up to two separate drives, one on my PC and one for storage in the basement. I'm also considering using the cloud as well. Don't ever think your treasured memories are safe in any one spot. (even the cloud) Remember... S**t Happens! And when it does, there is no going back.
Lets all learn from the days of tapes and records - nothing lasts forever.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment