Look up; way, way up.
Our first stop on our Sunday drive was to the now abandoned War Veteran's Hospital grounds adjacent to our newer Parkwood Hospital overlooking 'the ponds' of Pond Mills. I remember when there were 'cottages' on this property, away from the main hospital, set up as wards where treatment of severely wounded and psychologically affected veterans from World War II would spend their last days. CLICK HERE to read more about this place.
The administration building is falling into ruin. It's a beautiful building and has a gorgeous view of the ponds. It even has a bowling alley and it would appear the owner (Parkwood Hospital) paid to put a new roof on it.. Too bad some service club or non-profit can't use it before it is destroyed.
The city saves some of the strangest places, designating them as 'heritage sites'. Surely this fine old structure deserves some contemplation. I suppose that since the hospital owns it, it's immune to criticism.
Out in Komoka, now a suburb of London, we came across this beautiful 1935 Auburn 851 Boattailed Speedster. It was parked in front of what used to be the Little Beaver Restaurant. I had to circle back for a picture.
I enhanced this photo to more resemble the one I used to own when we had the condo in Sarnia/Point Edward. Those were the days! What a beauty! I always enjoyed this sporty car but could never go too far since I had no top for it. If rain was imminent, we had to scurry back home. CLICK HERE to see my old Auburn.
.







No comments:
Post a Comment