Our niece Sarah emailed from Cape Town South Africa that she would like her Grandma's (actually from Grandma's sister Dorothy) recipe for Hermit cookies. What a coincidence - Wendy was eating one...
Sarah,
Funny I was just having one right now. (made yesterday) Here's the recipe:
Hermit cookies original - Aunt Dorothy July 4th 1956
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1 cup white sugar
3 eggs well beaten
2 1/2 cups sifted flour all purpose
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup seedless raisins
Cream shortening and sugar - add beaten eggs
Sift 2 cup flour with baking soda and spices and add to first mixture. Add raisins and nuts with rest of flour drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet.
I added a little olive oil because I didn't have enough shortening and it worked out real well. I also added extra spice.
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1 cup white sugar
3 eggs well beaten
2 1/2 cups sifted flour all purpose
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup seedless raisins
Cream shortening and sugar - add beaten eggs
Sift 2 cup flour with baking soda and spices and add to first mixture. Add raisins and nuts with rest of flour drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet.
I added a little olive oil because I didn't have enough shortening and it worked out real well. I also added extra spice.
Enjoy....
Virtual Hugs
Aunt Wendy

No comments:
Post a Comment