
With the bigger than ever annual Bayfest running concurrently with the Port Huron to Mackinac Race, our little village was abuzz to say the least this weekend. The local Best Western and Holiday Inn was bursting at the seams and the Bluewater Bridge was lined up with cars from the USA. Festivities were set to run Wed. to Sun.. with other local bands playing in the park in Point Edward and a huge new stage set up in Sarnia’s Centennial Park.
On Friday night, since our house guests Jake and Andrew had not yet returned from the casino, Wendy and I rode our bikes over to Centennial Park to check our the action around Bayfest. As we approached the park, there was a cluster of big black limousines parked waiting for their passengers. A limo driver held up a ticket and asked me if I’d like to buy his $60 ticket for $30 since he could not leave his vehicle unattended. I offered to pay and let Wendy go by herself. I said I could wait here with the limo driver since one could hear the music fine from there. Wendy would not agree to that so I told the driver we would see if we could buy another ticket closer to the gate and if so, would come back for his. I figured one way or another, I might get Wendy in and I’d watch the bikes outside.

On Friday night, since our house guests Jake and Andrew had not yet returned from the casino, Wendy and I rode our bikes over to Centennial Park to check our the action around Bayfest. As we approached the park, there was a cluster of big black limousines parked waiting for their passengers. A limo driver held up a ticket and asked me if I’d like to buy his $60 ticket for $30 since he could not leave his vehicle unattended. I offered to pay and let Wendy go by herself. I said I could wait here with the limo driver since one could hear the music fine from there. Wendy would not agree to that so I told the driver we would see if we could buy another ticket closer to the gate and if so, would come back for his. I figured one way or another, I might get Wendy in and I’d watch the bikes outside.
The next couple of things to happen would be hard to believe if you saw it on Seinfeld. We inquired at the ticket booth in spite of being told earlier that the Toby Keith Concert was sold out, the attendant said he did indeed have two tickets left but for over $100. We were standing with our bikes, not twenty feet from the entrance gate when Wendy spotted a leaf or piece of paper flutter to the ground ahead. You can imagine our surprise when she bent down to pick it up and saw it was an intact genuine concert ticket. Unbelievable, but wait… Ten or fifteen minutes had passed since we spoke to the limo driver who was I’m sure was contently sitting in his car after selling his ticket to one of the thousands of passers by. We rode our bikes back to the limos and amazingly, the driver still had the ticket. I gladly paid him $30 and he thanked me saying he was glad someone could use it. So it was that I gained admission to my first ever “rock concert” and at the bargain price of $15 each! We chained the bikes to the fence and ventured in.
No comments:
Post a Comment