The weather was not so hot all week so I spent most of it doing maintenance jobs like installing a new wash down pump on my boat and sanding and polishing the whirlpool bathtub in the condo.
On my boat I have no less than 14 pumps:
Three bilge pumps
One shower sump pump
Six engine circulating pumps (two on each main engine and two on the generator)
One circulator pump for cooling the two air conditioners
One raw water pump in the toilet
One fresh water pump supplying clean water to three sinks and the shower as well as a drinking water filtered spigot and the ice maker.
Finally, there is one pump that pumps water directly from the lake to use for general wash down purposes.
Since this latter pump stopped working and since it never did work very well (I could barely get a trickle out of the hose up on the fly bridge) I’d bought a full size 110 v. pump like one you would have had a cottage. As luck would have it, I had a spare sea-cock and intake in the bottom of the boat. This through-hull fitting had previously been used to evacuate waste from the holding tank. Since this practice is illegal in the Great Lakes, the hoses and plumbing had been removed leaving a spare 1in. connection from which I connected my new pump. What a difference now! The gauge reads 55 psi. Now I can wash away flies on the go, or God forbid, put out a fire with all the gusto of a good garden hose at home.
Then there was the tub in the condo. It was looking pretty grim beside our gleaming new Dresden Blue toilet seats. Years ago we had placed some potted plants in the tub when we went away on vacation and when we returned, were horrified to see that the plants had left large stains in the bottom of the tub. Rather than paint, I decided to try to sand out the stains with fine sandpaper and then use rubbing compound to bring the shine back to the fiberglass. It worked. After much elbow grease and boat wax, the tub now looks nearly as good as new.
On my boat I have no less than 14 pumps:
Three bilge pumps
One shower sump pump
Six engine circulating pumps (two on each main engine and two on the generator)
One circulator pump for cooling the two air conditioners
One raw water pump in the toilet
One fresh water pump supplying clean water to three sinks and the shower as well as a drinking water filtered spigot and the ice maker.
Finally, there is one pump that pumps water directly from the lake to use for general wash down purposes.
Since this latter pump stopped working and since it never did work very well (I could barely get a trickle out of the hose up on the fly bridge) I’d bought a full size 110 v. pump like one you would have had a cottage. As luck would have it, I had a spare sea-cock and intake in the bottom of the boat. This through-hull fitting had previously been used to evacuate waste from the holding tank. Since this practice is illegal in the Great Lakes, the hoses and plumbing had been removed leaving a spare 1in. connection from which I connected my new pump. What a difference now! The gauge reads 55 psi. Now I can wash away flies on the go, or God forbid, put out a fire with all the gusto of a good garden hose at home.

Then there was the tub in the condo. It was looking pretty grim beside our gleaming new Dresden Blue toilet seats. Years ago we had placed some potted plants in the tub when we went away on vacation and when we returned, were horrified to see that the plants had left large stains in the bottom of the tub. Rather than paint, I decided to try to sand out the stains with fine sandpaper and then use rubbing compound to bring the shine back to the fiberglass. It worked. After much elbow grease and boat wax, the tub now looks nearly as good as new.
No comments:
Post a Comment