Sunday, May 2, 2010

Floor Boards and More Boards - Project Escalates.

Click picture to enlarge.

The old interlocking paving stones at the end of the deck have sunk down over the years, and the garden soil has been built up. They look pretty bad beside the new deck extension and those old deck boards over the step look terrible.



We need a new step. I decided to recycle the nice big slab of concrete that the defunct and long-gone air conditioner unit used to stand on. and "while we're at it" lets invert a few more deck boards to make the new step look even better.


While my son Tim and I were putting the finishing touches on the step, my dear wife Wendy was busy washing down the aluminum siding on the house in anticipation of the arrival later in the week of a painter she had called "just for a quotation". (I don't paint. I get paint on everything except what I want, and I don't have the patience to keep things clean and tidy as I go along.)

 

Hey! The day wouldn't be complete without a few more deck boards.


 After all that's the original, basic project, right?


Now, with the house washed down, the railings on the deck look even more shabby than I had noticed before. It's a beautiful day, so maybe I'll tear off those old weather-beaten rails and replace them with some new boards that I had left over from the original deck board project.


Normally rain is a scourge of backyard handymen but in this case it gave us a well deserved break while I figured out what else I need to buy.


Click on the Bee to enlarge, although he is already large at over an inch long. (count 17 squares/inch)

A few homeless Boring Bees that we displaced when we demolished the old pergola have been hovering around and seem very distressed by all our activity. I set up an old board with bee holes in it to try to keep them happy but the board keeps getting moved and they don't seem impressed with my efforts; not that  a human can ever impress a bee I suppose.

See what I mean? This project is growing like the National Debt and we're only into the first week of May. The only up-side is: at this rate it looks like I'm building up enough "brownie points" to get me through the whole summer on my boat. We'll see!
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment