I couldn't continue on with my deck rejuvenation project after seeing the deplorable condition of the stair stringers languishing in the mud, so I decided to try to jack up the entire landing in an effort to bring it to its original level.
I was successful in shimming up on the concrete piers that have settled over the years. Now I thought I had better go and get some gravel to add as a stabilizing factor and to provide better drainage for the underlying clay whilst slowing down the flow of the ever-eroding water.
Oh oh! Look what I've done to the upper railing. The jacking has caused the stair rail to push the deck rail out of alignment.
I tried to alter the old rail, but effectively ruined it with a mis-calculation so now I tried my hand at joinery and fashioned a brand new handrail of suitable length.
The BEFORE picture above, and the AFTER pictures below show my progress with the board inversions, new rail, and gravel added to help keep the whole thing drier.
Lookin' good don't you think?







