Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Rot Driven Project - When Will It End?




A deck railing post at the corner of the deck has completely rotted out so I fashioned a new post. I'm getting pretty good with a chisel don't you think?


Wait a minute. If I'm making a new post anyway, maybe I should make a longer one and build a trellis with lattice work. It will offer a little shade and privacy at that end of the deck. There's my new upright post. Ever since we tore down the old structure, I feel like the neighbors can see right into my space.  Let's see where this leads.



Tim and I are 'old hands' at this woodworking now so the new trellis is advancing at a good speed. Five years ago I bought a pneumatic brad nailer for up to 1 1/4" nails and never used it. This is the perfect job for this gun. The trellis will block some of the neighbour's view, but we need to have more screen so maybe along our concrete retaining wall that is at the edge of our lot and entirely on our property. Never quit when you are on a roll.


Here are (above and below) some Photo Shop visualizations of what the screen beyond the trellis might look like.
THESE ARE NOT REAL PICTURES - Just dreaming at this point. Click to enlarge.


In this 'phony' picture you can see a view from our neighbour's porch. This is the new 4' x 16' screen/trellis we plan to build along the concrete retaining wall between the properties.  Compare without the screen shown below:


.
.
.