Saturday, June 2, 2012

If The Women Don't Find You Handsome, They Should At Least Find You Handy

With Red Green's famous words ringing in my head I plunged into my Saturday job of replacing the old worn out sink and vanity in our little "retro" en-suite bathroom.


I realized that the new sink with its attractive beaded edge was going to be a problem when I tried to install it in a corner against an adjacent wall. Removing the beaded edge on the right-hand side would be the only way to go. After checking the internet and deciding how I was going to cut down this new "cultured marble" sink to fit the corner location, I devised my clever plan.


Realizing that my handyman skills do not often rival those of even the most inept professional, I took the precaution of masking off the brand new sink so if I made a slip the damage might be minimized. Duct tape of course was part of my plan. I placed a heavy pail of Kitty Litter on top to stabilize and help stop movement when I cut. I did all this while Wendy was at her exercise club because I predicted some apprehension on her part and I thought if I screwed up, it would be better if I was alone.


After testing a little nick on the underside of the sink to assure myself that the material was cuttable, I first tested a cut closer to the edge than the final cut to get a feel for the material.


Not a problem. This morning I was lucky  to find a masonry cutting wheel that would fit my circular saw in the garage. I was still a little nervous cutting into a brand new sink, but you know I probably have more experience free-hand cutting with a cutting wheel in a Black and Decker hand saw than anybody in this city, and maybe even this country. When I was in manufacturing years ago, this tool was my favorite. I cut and ground more steel this way than most people could ever imagine.


Anyway, it went as smooth as butter, although it did make a lot of dust and I would suggest that anyone trying this should work outside.


After my initial cut, I dressed it up with my new, just-out-of-the-box, Harbor Freight belt sander. Wow, I'm pretty proud of myself. Wait 'til Wendy sees this!


The next job was to remove the old vanity and sink after disconnecting the plumbing.


I was careful because I want to re-use the taps and drain which are in perfect condition.


I hooked everything back up on the new sink. I figured it's a lot easier than working upside-down with a flashlight inside the new vanity.


Everything went just as planned since the new sink was almost identical in size to the old one.


Running the bead of silicone around the edge is probably my worst nightmare. I have never been too good at it. Hopefully any little smears can be removed with a razor blade.

All in all everything went fine and I even amazed myself! The cute little cabinet fits with our 60's retro-style pink tiles. Just call me if you need any help with your project. I only charge $1000 per hour. That's about how much I would need to charge to try this in somebody else's house. That would give me enough money so that I could pay some pro to fix my mistakes!


So... "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Steve Smith

.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment