![]() |
| Picture taken in Springbank Park, London, ON summer 1997. They don't build 'em like they used to! |
I met her when she was only 49 years old and we got along splendidly because I bought her everything she needed and she really didn't ask for much. We used to go to all the car shows together but later, when I bought a boat my attention was becoming divided. Finally, last year our visit to the Plunkett Car Show in London in early June, and the lovely time we had at the Glencoe Fair in September were the only times she left the garage.
I hate to say it but neglect was starting to wear on our relationship. Not that she ever complained but maintenance goes on and she was using up one of our two parking spots at the condo. I sold her off to a man who has 22 collector cars and a place to keep her in the style that could be even better than what she was accustomed to. I know I will miss her but as the new owner drove away I proudly watched with with a tear in my eye. I felt somehow very peaceful with the knowledge that she was going to a better place. She still runs proud and strong at 64 but I was always worried that if something serious where to happen mechanically I was ill prepared to deal with it any more. My days of lifting out engines are passed and Lord knows she has the ability to outlive me. I enjoyed my time with her but as they say "time marches on".
What ever you do, don't worry about me... I'll get over her!
My thoughts after a few:
Do you remember when you were a kid and you wanted a pony? Your parents rightfully told you, as a city kid, that a pony was not a practical "toy". Logically you knew in your heart of hearts that you had no way to care for a pony and fortunately in those days you probably didn't have any money to buy one anyway.
Now, I think that things like boats and cars are a lot like ponies. You want them, and you need them, and you buy them because you have the money now, but you realize later; only after you have owned them for while, that they are only "things" and things do not; in themselves, bring the happiness you thought they would.
Don't get me wrong. I cherish the times I shared with my friends aboard my boat or riding in my old car, or the condo but the "things" were merely the vehicle, the medium, to bring our true friends to a mutual focal point where friendship and love can happen. I suppose for that reason, it's all worth while, but it's not the boat or car or house that actually has any real value. It's the people you meet along the way.
You can see more about my old Olds if you CLICK HERE.
.
.
.

