 |
| Lots of exploring around our condo in Fort Myers Beach, |
When we go to Florida we will be in a great spot for boating. The challenge for me, ever since we booked, has been how to get our little boat down there and back safely and easily.
 |
| The dinghy, when fully inflated is pretty bulky. |
I figured the trailer was not an option since the condo we rented for the month does not allow trailers in the parking lot. That and the fact that our little cheap trailer is (in my mind) not to be trusted for a long-distance 3000 mile trip with it's tiny wheels.
After extensive consultation with my buddies David and Bill by telephone, emailed pictures and an earlier meeting during Megan's bridal shower we agreed the best way to accomplish this mission was to strap it up on the roof. When I showed Wendy my initial plan pictured with the fully inflated boat on the top of the car she declared:"If you put that thing on the roof we will surely spiral off the highway in a deadly and fiery crash!" Of course as usual I heeded her every word.
 |
| Dinghy still on the trailer with the air sucked out. |
I worked yesterday reducing our dinghy down to size. I sucked the air out with the foot pump working in reverse and, loaded it on the roof of the car. I could have called my son Tim to help lift, but I wanted to prove I could do this all by myself, since Wendy was emphatic that she wanted no part of this "operation" and I wanted to be sure I could pull it off if I had no help when I got to FL.
 |
| Click to enlarge |
It looks pretty good don't you think? I have no problem carrying it on the roof of our car so we can enjoy it when we get to Florida. I can't wait. I don't have to tell you, that isn't white sand all over the ground. If we both die in a fiery crash, I guess I'll have to take full responsibility.
Unrelated to this story, when we moved to this house in the 80's we could decorate that tree in the background with lights using a stick to reach the top.
.
.
.