Florida not expected to enforce international driver’s permit rule
From the department of red tape you didn’t know existed: Canadians are now required by law to have an international driving permit in addition to their regular licences when driving in Florida.I Don't Trust The B@$%@#&s
![]() |
| "I'm gonna nail this Canuck." |
The next legislative session begins in March, and the soonest any change might happen would be July 1, said spokeswoman Kirsten Olsen-Doolan, adding, “We love our Canadians.”
"Until the law is clarified, Canadian drivers found without the permit would technically be considered “driving without a valid licence,” she said.
After you read the article you'll see what I wrote in the comments below the CAA news release today. It's wonderful that the bureaucratic dummies in Florida admit they pulled a boner, but it IS still a law. So the cops won't pull me over for driving without a license? Good!
BUT
Who knows what a gung-ho lawyer for my own insurance company would do with this in court? (driving without a valid license) Duh!
What about a Florida ambulance chaser. Don't you think he just might bring up the fact that my license is invalid in the State of Florida? Duh! (and I understand, in Georgia as well) I may still get one of these stupid things just to be safe, that is if there's any left.
Food for thought...
Tim
ARTICLE:
CAA offers International Driving Permit refunds for Florida travellers
680News staff Feb 15, 2013 09:59:25 AM
The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) said it’s offering a full refund to travellers who purchased an International Driving Permit (IDP) and passport photos Feb. 13-14.
It all stems from the Florida drivers’ licence issue, where there’s a new law in place stating all tourists have to have an IDP.
Florida police have been ordered not to enforce the law, but despite that, the CAA said it’s still a good idea to have the permit, because the law is still on the books.
But for those who don’t feel they need it, you can bring back the permit and your receipt for a full refund.
CAA comments:
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/dldata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl
It all stems from the Florida drivers’ licence issue, where there’s a new law in place stating all tourists have to have an IDP.
Florida police have been ordered not to enforce the law, but despite that, the CAA said it’s still a good idea to have the permit, because the law is still on the books.
But for those who don’t feel they need it, you can bring back the permit and your receipt for a full refund.
CAA comments:
- Tim Carroll (London) says: I’d like to get it in writing from my insurance company that they will pay up if I have an accident in Florida or Georgia while driving without a legal license. It’s all very well and good that the Insurance Bureau of Canada says it would “frown” on any company refusing insurance because of the misguided law, but laws are laws and if the insurance company lawyers can save the company from paying my claim, who will be frowning then? Right, me!
- bobo says: nice move CAA, what a classy operation !!
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/dldata.aspx?con=1747371440&ty=dl
UPDATE NOTE: I reluctantly shelled out $50 today (Tues. Feb 19) to buy 2 IDPs for Wendy and I. I hope I won't need them but better safe than sorry. There was a fair line up this morning so I'm not the only one who doesn't trust them. At least I printed our two mug shots on a $2 printer I bought at a garage sale last fall so I didn't have to pay the $30 more for photos.
.
.
.


