Monday, January 10, 2011

Milan, Italy Flashback - Fixing Pictures with Photoshop

In my last post, in Santorini, I was talking about fixing up an image that may not have been too exciting and making it more 'dynamic'.Here is a Before and After of such a shot. It's all about HDR. (High Dynamic Range)

gif maker online
To make your own Animated GIFclick on the picture to go to the web page and follow the instructions.

The original picture was very lackluster and the archway was completely black so 50% of the picture had no information and the other 50% was very drab. I masked off the black arch and boosted it up.  See how much detail is hidden in those shadows?  Then I masked off the inner scene and tweaked it separately. Below is the finished picture. Click on the pic to enlarge it.


The picture was taken on a dull day in May of 2004 and shows the view as we leave through the main entrance to the Castello Sforzesco in Milan Italy.  It would have looked better with a blue sky but we can't change the weather.


...Or can we? Wow! Looks like one of those old, colourized postcards from the turn of the last century.  With my phony sunshine you can even see more shadow detail in the walkway. I take lots of pictures and I don't erase them. You never know when the technology will come along to fix them. Milan is a long way away and I might not ever get back to take another. Still, I've got the original and if I want, I can try something else. Have some fun with Photoshop or if you'd like to, use the excellent program Pixlr.com. Nothing to download  and it's FREE. Experiment with the 'mimic HDR' filter. (read about High Dynamic Range)

No comments:

Post a Comment