Friday, January 7, 2011

Rei Dos Leitoes - The King of Pigs

.




Wendy and I decided to try a 'different' restaurant for lunch today. I had heard about this place and looked it up on the internet. The literal translation is The King of Sucking Pigs. It is located in the Portuguese area of our city. The menu specials are shown here:

Rei Dos Leitoes Daily Specials
Monday - baby back ribs
Tuesday - cod fish casserole and grilled octopus
Wednesday - grilled cod fish
Thursday - Brazilian style steak and bean stew
Friday - Roasted Goat Stew
Saturday - Roasted suckling pig




The Roasted Goat Stew turned out of the translation from Portuguese to be Stewed, Roasted Goat. Either one would be excellent I'm sure. I had mine with a Coor's Lite. The place is in no way pretentious or formal with its paper place-mats but it was so crowded, we sat with two gentlemen at a table for four. They graciously shared their table.


I lifted the picture above and below from another blog. Feel free to visit 'The Black Pig BBQ' as he writes an excellent review about this place a few years ago


Every Saturday they roast the pigs in a traditional domed, brick oven pit. Ouch! That's gotta hurt.


We can't wait to get back here again to try some of the other specialties. In spite of the restaurant's name, chicken is apparently the most popular menu item.


Next door is a fish market and all around this section of town are interesting family owned businesses and eateries. Next time you come to visit Wendy and I, we'll head down here for lunch. Click here to go to the King of Pigs web site.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment