Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tin Can Telephone

I love making art from old post cards. So what about making an old post card from a new photo? (click to enlarge)
My 'Rockwellian' style post card shows our kitten Dash up to his usual tricks as I am trying to place a call to my friend Jack Carroll in Chicago. (very long string)  Unless you are my age you probably never heard of a telephone 'party-line'. No, it doesn't have anything to do with a real party. There used to be 'private lines' (extra cost) and 'party-lines' (basic service). Read about this 'blast from the past' here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_line_%28telephony%29

This YouTube video aptly explains the problem with Party-Lines.

That's a young Ron Howard on the right in the group of kids. Jay North as 'Dennis the Menace' in the middle. Click the picture to start the movie.

Detailed do-it-yourself drawing I found on the internet shows how you too can make a tin can telephone. Usually, as you can see in the diagram, tin can phones involve only a private line. Amazing! Hours of fun for you and a friend.
.
.
.