![]() |
| My 'Artist' impression. The hat is part of 'the look'. |
Tim Carroll was born in London Ontario, but also lived in North Bay and Toronto
Studied industrial design at the Ontario College of Art in Toronto.
Worked as a studio crewman and in the properties department of television station CFPL London.
For several semesters hosted a third year industrial design part-time studio at Fanshawe College, London Ontario
Owned and operated a successful hospital bed manufacturing factory. Carroll Healthcare Inc.
Retired at age 47, and turned more attention to photography and art.
"With a passion for art and a background in industrial design I tend to enjoy the somewhat rigid structure of man-made objects and architecture; often in juxtaposition with nature, in the form of plants, animals or the environment.
In my finished works I invariably start from either a photograph that I have taken or a historical/vintage postcard or photograph that is in the public domain. I have a great love of local history and so the old materials give me the ability go back in time virtually and overlay my modern interpretation which often involves coloring original black and whites. Often I will combine new images with old photographs or postcards in a new composite work.
I maintain a studio and production facility in my home which allows me to produce finished pieces quickly and economically with the ability to customize the final presentation creatively. With the advent of modern coatings applied to my reproductions, and in light of my industrial design background, I now offer glassless frames and mounts which allow viewing of the artwork without the interference of annoying glare. Mat borders can be printed on to the picture in order to set it off from the background. With no glass covering the art, the resulting colors appear much more vibrant and clear, and the work can actually be wiped clean with a damp cloth."
For your information: Mats originally had two purposes. One purpose was to keep the picture from touching the glass which, with condensation or extremes in humidity, could ruin the print. The other was to help separate the picture from the background and draw your eye to the work. If I use a mat for the latter reason, I now print it flat, right on the picture since not having any glass, a real mat would just collect dust along the lower edge and be difficult to keep clean. The picture above shows a faux, bevel-cut mat and is actually part of the picture so I can frame it as is, without any glass. Ta da!
![]() |
| Come on! You knew he just HAD to 'Artify' this picture somehow - didn't you? |
.
.



