Monday, April 1, 2013

Going to Montreal

In a surprise, last minute arrangement I was able to book a trip on Holland America from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal. The best part is, they are allowing me to put my car on the ship. This all happened after I met the captain of the Volendam at a chicken wings bar in Immokalee FL.  He told me he takes over the ship on Monday and that they allow the captain to bring a small car if he wishes.  Since he does not need a car with him he said I could bring mine.



This means we only have to drive from Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale and then Montreal to London and it will allow us a wonderful cruise of seven days stopping in New York, Connecticut, Halifax, and Quebec city. My last-minute price was only $450 each and we got a veranda.






Did I get you???  Ha ha; April Fools!

We made it to Douglas, Georgia around 4:30 pm, keeping away from I75 and went to Ruby Tuesdays for the salad bar.  (Sunny, windy 82 F) Douglas Georgia is a neat old town but nothing spectacular. We are here only to eat and sleep, so we'll leave as planned tomorrow morning. To bed at 9:30 and anticipating our sight-seeing diversion up through the mountains to Knoxville tomorrow. It looks like Spring is quite delayed this year. Although there is much greenery, we see no or very few blossoms. Stay tuned.

NOTE: It looks like my prudent efforts (on the admonition of my condo neighbours in Florida) to book ahead to avoid the rush was unneccessary
since our car and one other were the only ones in the place.

And I was worried we couldn't get a room.  

Lesson: Don't trust the hype!
.
.