Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Home Safe and Sound

Lots of driving and listening to the radio today as we ran the "race track" (I75) leaving at 6:30 am all the way from Knoxville TN through Detroit (a bumpy road melee of uninsured NASCAR wannabees doing 70+ mph in the 55 mph zones) to I94 and Port Huron around 4:30 pm.

I picked up an anticipated Amazon.com parcel at my mailbox, then to Meijer's for cat food and then we went GFS for other groceries. Finally, after that, we went to the US Duty Free Store for a gallon of pure alc. (not allowed to be sold in most of the US or Canada without a permit") I was concerned and wondered about my other partly full bottles of hooch and a case of left-over beer from Florida that was mouldering in the back cargo space. My worries were ill-founded:



The Canada Customs guy (I didn't recognize him from previous crossings) asked where do you live? "Point Edward" How long where you away? "Since February 28"  What did you buy? "Under $200 - groceries and this hat" Then, unceremoniously he said "Goodbye!"

END OF INTERVIEW!  "Is that all there is?" I mused.

Hey!  I even felt a little snubbed that he didn't ask about our Florida vacation, the boat, poised very conspicuously on my roof, the contents of my car heaped unbelievably full of "personal belongings", my lovely tan. or the usual alcohol, tobacco questions. Not even a complement on my "artsy" hat. Nothing!

I must say though, I breathed a sigh of relief that we didn't have to pull everything out of the car for a "random check" before high-tailing it back home to London.

.
.
.