

Splendid 19th century Victorian dining room located in Waverley Mansion.
Well, this is all new to me! Since I was a designer/manufacturer of hospital beds for most of my working life, I used to only look at nursing homes and long-term care facilities as potential customers. Nearly 11 years ago I sold my company and now it's part of Invacare. I certainly view these places in a different light now.
For the past few days Wendy and I have been touring local long term care facilities. We are trying to determine which ones (up to 3 are allowed) to place on our wish list waiting list application with CCAC (Community Care Access Centre) to place Wendy’s Mom Gene in a new home. She would initially thrust everyone into “great stress” every time long term care was mentioned, but I think that the realization that staying at Wistful Vista is not sustainable has finally sunk in. We have been looking after Grandma Gene here ever since Grandpa Howard died September 25. As you might imagine, things have been a little tense to say the least. Living for three months with a mourning 80 year old with onset dementia in a fairly small one floor ranch bungalow would be difficult for a spouse, but for the daughter and son in law (me) and our son Tim jr. has become almost intolerable. Our family doctor worries that the stress could impact our health. We boomers are sometimes referred to as the “sandwich generation” as we find ourselves dealing with children who stay home much longer and our parents who look to us for support.
Gene met Howard when she was 17, married at age 20. They lived for 61 years, in their riverside home, so you can understand, they depended on each other completely. Being separated and forced to live in a new environment after all those years would test the emotions of anyone but when you add the confusion of dementia, you have the makings of an interesting time indeed.
We took Gene over to Waverley Mansion and as best we could tell, she seemed impressed. We are hoping she'll get along here at this retirement home until a bed becomes available at a nursing home.

No comments:
Post a Comment