Saturday, October 25, 2014

Just Wondering...


I have never been particularly claustrophobic, probably no more than most other people. Fear of being trapped, brought about by simply being in a dark, confined space would seem to be a developed response that has evolved naturally. Animals likely develop this as a healthy fear to prevent themselves from being backed into a corner or entrapped in any number of difficult situations.


As an aging human animal, I find I am maybe more withdrawn, more cloistered, and less able to defend myself. Am I becoming more insecure in my old age? In the last year or so, I have occasionally awoke in the night and felt uneasy with the bedroom drapes pulled shut. Was it claustrophobia that caused me to get out of bed and open the curtains so I could see outside?

Inside cabins have no windows.
 Lately I have had a few rather terrifying dreams about being stuck in a narrow confine, unable to move. The feeling doesn't stay with me long or take any precedence in my daily life but I began to wonder if it would be unwise for me to book an inside cabin on a cruise ship. What if I found I could not tolerate being unable to open the curtains and see outside? I actually thought about this when we booked an outside cabin for our upcoming cruise. Hmmm.
.
.
.