Friday, October 3, 2014

The Coke Poster Challenge


"Umbrella Girls 1913"                       Click pic to enlarge.
The challenge today was to restore an old printed Coke display. The problem as you can see below is that both sides and the bottom were cropped off in the original picture I had in my collection. This meant I had to fabricate an arm, two halves of the umbrellas missing, a few extra flowers, and make up a new bottom scroll work missing from the Coca Cola sign in the middle. To top it off I used a graduated Coke coloured background.

Click to see the screen pattern
 I got rid of the photo screen pattern on the original that you can see if you enlarge the picture. I also fixed the background and straightened things up.


This is what I mean by a photo screen pattern. It is used when the picture is printed in a magazine. It doesn't look good in my poster since I intend to blow it up and this will show badly. The trick to getting rid of it is to first blur the picture, then re-sharpen it back.


Here's the picture "de-screened". You do loose some definition but hey, you can't make something from nothing can you.
.
.
.